20120219

New York




A few years ago, I had a dream. It began in the summer and was over by the following spring. In between, there were as many unhappy nights as there were happy days. Most of them took place in this café. And then one night, a door slammed and the dream was over.

My Blueberry Nights (2007)


My Blueberry Nights is easily between my 20 favourite films ever. It has been widely criticized (fairly many times) for things such as Jude Law's poor acting, implausability of some situations, clumsy and awkward dialogues, randomness of the character's actions... and the list goes on. I recognize that this film can be considered mediocre if you measure it with the same pattern that you use with the ordinary ones, but for me that's not the point. I guess its charm lies more on its grainy images, random slow motion footage while the audio goes on normally, remarkable abundance of sunsets, old school Jazz soundtrack, warm colour palette and deathly cute settings. For a bit more than an hour, you feel as you were sitting on the diner of a small in-the-middle-of-nowhere town, just staring at the rest of the customers and trying to figure out what their lives are like, with plenty of time to waste and a coffee and a slice of blueberry pie in front of you. 








No comments:

Post a Comment