20120301

I'm fine without you



The first 10 minutes of Ethernal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) are bound to get you on your nerves: there you've got the childish irritating churlish Clementine Kruczynski (Kate Winslet) trying to seem interesting and mysterious while clumsily flirting with Joel Barish (Jim Carry), a deeply dipressed man not deprived of self-compassion at all.
However, if you manage to repress the urge to throw something to the screen and you keep on watching it, you will discover a deep and life-teaching story. For me, this film is mainly about changing. About how we think we've changed a lot but in the end still the same. About how we change our minds towards something we thought we never would. About how we make others think we've changed just to protect our deepest feelings. As relevant as the changing subject is the forgetting one. The plot dives into the matter of how right would it be to be able to totally forget about something or someone that, by either pain or love, left a great impression on us and made us be the way we are now. The changing thing is reflected on Clementine's hair colour, which turns from blue to orange to red to green as the time passes by (backwards, actually). In her own words:
“It changes colour a lot. It’s called Blue Ruin…this company makes a whole bunch of colours with equally snappy names. I apply my personality in a paste.”
The forgetting thing is represented by a company called Lacuna Inc., whose purpose is to erase a certain person from their customer's mind. Who has never ever imagined something like that? Who has never ever said "I wish I had never me you"? So, I'm not gonna ruin you the whole film but... I'll just say that hopefully some things can't just be  deleted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment